Monday, October 20, 2008

Victory!

Ok, I wasn't going to blog more until I had responded to Brian's and Jackie's comments, but this is pretty freakin' cool.

That whole thing with Paul, started out because I wanted to show someone who was strongly pro-life that there was more common ground with pro-choice people than he thought. That we weren't, ya know, pure evil incarnate. And, when Paul decided to suggest killing liberals, I realized that wasn't going to happen, with him anyway. But over the past couple of weeks, I've been having a very similar conversation over on http://www.isgodimaginary.com --> Philosophy --> "How to make abortions rare". And now, after two weeks of trying (which is why I haven't been blogging here much) I've gotten through to the main proponent of the pro-life side in that debate - screen name QuestionMark, and also proponent of capital punishment for a whole range of things, not least sex outside of marriage. So not exactly on the same page as me in a lot of ways. But...

But I had something of a revelation over the past few days, and I think I agree with you(as I did before, but now more heartily and confidently) that we must cooperate on eliminating abortion.


Yay!

Ok, I'm going to go do something non-internet with the rest of my night.

3 comments:

Darwin said...

"and also proponent of capital punishment for a whole range of things, not least sex outside of marriage."

Ummmm. For real?

I'm afraid I'd have trouble taking such a person seriously seriously at all.

But I guess you get open-minded points. :-)

Myron said...

For real. The exact quote is:

I advance that the best way to make abortions rare is to make it a capital offense. I guarantee you that the rate of abortion will drop to a fraction of what it is in less than ten years if abortion becomes a capital offense and is enforced.

I advance that the next best way to make abortions rare is to make a strong statement that abortion is morally, ethically, socially, and legally UNACCEPTABLE. If the legality of the issue does not stop people, proper peer pressure(to do what is right and noble) should.

There are other ways, that I know Americans are too weak willed to agree with. Like making adultery (sex outside of marriage) a capital crime. I know that I just opened a can of worms on more than one level. But lets do it. Let's talk about the issues plainly. Rape, molest, adultery, should all be capital crimes. You'd see the value of marriage go up, you'd see all kinds of deviant sexual tendencies disappear, you'd see STD's disappear, you'd see the crime rate drop incredibly, you'd see the divorce rate drop incredibly.


And yet, somehow, we have gotten to the point where we can reason with each other. I think that's pretty neat.

QuestionMark said...

Thank you for quoting me in full :)